A website that has useful and informative content will be more likely to attract visitors and induce them into returning.
- When you compose your page text try to utilize the words that users might plug in as search queries in their search for the information on your site.
- Spelling, Be sure to not only spell-check your site but have a third parity read through an check grammar. Writing copy for a website is not the same as for print, books, magazines and newspapers. We will be adding more about copy writing to this page at a latter time.
- The text on an HTML page should not exceed 180 kilobytes.
- Facilitate navigation through your website by providing a static text link for every page.
- Text in an image is not index able; if you want important information to be indexed on a search query, make sure it is placed outside of all images, including your company logo. ALT tags for images can help but will not replace the strength of live viewable text on your site.
- A site map is much like a roadmap or driving directions, except its purpose is served by enabling the search spiders to locate all of your pages and encounter links that are embedded in menus, list boxes, and other similar website components not readable by search engines.
- The site hierarchy should always be maintained as such that every page should have a distance of only one to three clicks from the home page. On larger sites this might pose a problem, but we always warn our clients to give the users of their site a clear path to all content.
Unethical Search Engine Optimization Techniques
The practices described below not only annoy web surfers that encounter them, they are prohibited by all the major search engines and can result in your site being banned from their indices. Please be considerate and do not add to the disarray that already exists thanks to fraudulent SEO schemes.
- Keyword spamming: Artificially inflating a page’s keyword density by packing irrelevant words. This includes creating exceptionally large image ALT tags that people will more than likely never see.
- Visitors to your website should be able to read your text. Hiding text or links by making them the same color as the background or by using a no view tag is detectable by the search engines and in some cases will lower your rank or possibly ban your site all together.
- Making link farms to give the appearance that there are more links to your website. This is very widely used by black hat SEO companies
- Creating doorway pages specifically designed for search engines.
Will changing my hosting company or IP address affect my search engine ranking?
Changing your hosting company or IP address won’t affect your website ranking or your seo strategy as long as you migrate you site to a different IP address using the following guidelines:
- Load all of the files of your present website to your new IP address.
- Change your name-servers so that they point to the new DNS servers or your new IP address.
- Upon seeing that all of the major search engines have spidered your website it will be safe to take down your website on your old server.